Music Break


I thought I'd take a break from the travel posts to blog about something a little different - music. As much as I love reminiscing about exchange, I realise that it's not very healthy (nor conducive to moving on) to spend so much time with my head buried in the past. At least that's what I tell myself as I scroll through photos from the past year all the while mentally screaming YOU NEED TO DELETE ALL THIS STUFF FROM YOUR PHONE GURL. 

Anyway.

Hold - Vera Blue 

Have you guys heard of Vera Blue? If not, maybe Celia Pavey, the girl who blew the judges away on the 2013 The Voice Australia auditions with her rendition of Scarborough Fair. For a while, it'd seemed like she'd dropped out of public awareness to do her own thing. I'm glad that she did though because she came back with a new stage name - Vera Blue - and she's absolutely smashed it with the song Hold.


I say this with 100% sincerity - she's the best vocalist Australia has right now. And the song is phenomenal. Just listen to that vocal layering in the pre-chorus. It's actually impossible to listen to this without feeling how incredibly emotionally invested she must have been when she wrote it. 

Someone That Loves You - Honne & Izzy Bizu


I'm extremely grateful for this song because it introduced me to the musical genius that is Honne and Izzy Bizu's sweeter-than-caramel voice (props to the algorithm behind YouTube's recommended videos). The tune is ridiculously catchy and the video is a nostalgic punch to the gut - bringing back all the feels from last summer's Japan trip (which I will get around to blogging about...eventually).


I initially thought that this was a happy song. It's hard not to because the tune's just so uplifting. But when you actually tune in to the lyrics, you realise otherwise.

Don't touch me, boy I want you
Not allowed to
You have someone that loves you, I'm waiting
And I'm patient, I'm deluded
You have someone that loves you
Ouch. 

Drive It Like You Stole It - Sing Street 

If you haven't seen the movie Sing Street, you need to get on that, asap. It's about a group of Irish school boys who decide to form a band for the sole purpose of impressing a girl. It's full of catchy songs, which is what you'd expect from the director of Once and Begin Again. I'd describe it as a coming of age film set in the '80s with a healthy dose of comedy and drama. Check it out if you get the chance.


I chose this song because it kind of encapsulates the entire spirit of the film but honestly speaking, all the songs from the soundtrack are great.

Sweet Child O' Mine - The cast of Captain Fantastic 

Speaking of songs from movies, I also really loved this cover of Sweet Child O' Mine from Captain Fantastic. It's sung by the relatively young cast at a pivotal point of the movie so I'm not sure if it'd have the same resonance to someone who hasn't seen the film but just in case anyone's a fan of uplifting covers of this song, I've posted it here anyway. Check it out.


Flume - Say It feat. Tove Lo (Illenium Remix)

I know I'm jumping genres here and that this remix has been around for several months now but it wouldn't be right if I didn't include my most played song of 2016 in this list. I love Flume and I love Tove Lo so this song is basically an eargasm of epic proportions for me. (But for real though, qqmusic says I've played this song over 81 times in the last five months...)

The beat dropped harder than my mood after coming back from exchange :')

On the topic of Tove Lo, how great is her new album? I especially loved Flashes and True Disaster. Now I just gotta wait for Illenium to remix those two as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts