Odds & Ends #6

Roses are red, violets are blue, I've neglected my blog, but that's nothing new...

I would blame it on my social life...but that would be a lie. Mostly, I've just been spending way too many hours of my life at work or at university...studying. Wait no, that's a lie as well. Honestly, I've been so tired lately that I've just taken to sitting passively in lectures hoping to absorb content from my mere presence alone - like some sort of weird plant cell undergoing educational osmosis. 

1. Roses are red, violets are blue, I went on camp and forgot my shampoo

And pyjama pants...and hairbrush...and snacks... and basically everything that I'd reminded myself to bring.



But in exchange I found mafia buddies, fellow arsonists and nature explorers. So it wasn't too bad of a trade-off.

2. Roses are red, violets are blue, check out this fucking amazing Californian dance crew

If you had to watch one YouTube video today, and only one, you might as well make it this one. Hell, if you had to watch one YouTube video this month, I would still recommend this one. It is so chockablock full of talent and passion that it is guaranteed to make you feel incompetent and unfulfilled in life.

It's the winning performance from one of the most prestigious dance competitions in the world. What makes it amazing is that it's not merely dance, but also storytelling, innovation and theatricality. Also, it's set to the remixed version of Matt Corby's "Brother". So therefore it can't possibly suck.



3. Roses are red, violets are blue, your procrastination potential seriously just grew

Because I figured out how to get WhatsApp on your computer. And it takes like 10 seconds to set up. All you have to do is go to this link , open up the app on your phone, scan a QR code and BAM, you have just learnt how to be even less focused in class than you were before.


4. Roses are red, violets are blue, guess what I managed to push myself through? 



That's right - the City2Surf. And believe it or not, I actually managed to have fun while doing it. I mean, considering how I only had one training session beforehand (and by training sess, I mean Jacinta and I went for a walk in the park), I'm surprised by how much of it I actually ran.

Afterwards, I went down to the beach to join the rest of the UTS team at our marquee for free food and massages. Everyone ended up just chilling there for a couple of hours and it was probably the most accomplished I'd felt in a long time. Then Monday happened and I realised that everything hurt and I couldn't move.

5. Roses are red, violets are blue, guess whose opal card finally came through? 

And it is the bomb diggity. No longer do us UTS students have to feel inferior in this aspect to UNSW and USYD students. We have opal cards! The University of Technology Sydney finally has access to the contactless ticketing system that everyone else had been using since last year. Good stuff.

6. Roses are red, violets are blue, Ex Machina deserves every positive review




It's about a robot called Ava who has artificial intelligence. A young programmer named Caleb is tasked with testing her out and he does this by observing and interacting with her. I don't want to say anymore so just watch the trailer:


I have difficulty faulting anything about this movie. The acting was spot on (especially from Alicia Vikander, the actress who plays the robot) and it is without a doubt one of the more visually stunning films I've seen this year. I also like a movie with twists, and this certainly had that.


6. Roses are red, violets are blue, there are always people more talented than you.


Yeah I know, I've been watching a lot of dance videos lately. I'm not sure why. Call it my latest YouTube fetish but I just can't seem to stop.

Anyway this video is great and the choreographer, Lia Kim, is a goddess so you should watch it.

7. Roses are red, violets are blue, $3 coffee at UTS? Woohoo!

And it's actually good coffee as well. Check out the new cafe in Building 7 and you'll be able to track down this $3 coffee. It's still a bit of a hidden secret but I popped in yesterday and a line was already starting to form at 8:45am. My suggestion? Get in there quick if you want to beat all the other coffee-deprived communication students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts