Just a little bit of encouragement for those who need it



Drink up, baby, stay up all night
With the things you could do, you won't but you might
The potential you'll be that you'll never see
The promises you'll only make

Drink up with me now and forget all about
The pressure of days, do what I say
And I'll make you okay and drive them away
The images stuck in your head


I like to think that in a parallel dimension, the musical chemistry of John Paul White and Joy Williams of The Civil Wars translates to actual romantic chemistry and the two are happily married and living on a little farmstead somewhere in Nashville. I like to think that they have kids and these are the songs being sung to them lovingly every night by their musically-gifted parents.  

Well, maybe not this particular song since I'm 99.9% sure it's about alcoholism. 

Since I have nothing specific I wanted to talk about in this post (sorry, my life this week has been as eventful as Season 3 of Breaking Bad i.e. not very), allow me to infuse your day with a bit of positivity before I abruptly and awkwardly conclude this post.

Dear You,

I don't pretend to know what's going on in your life or what sort of worries and insecurities have been weighing you down these last few weeks (or months). Maybe they're just short term things, like exams or a stressful job interview. If that's the case, then I wish you the best of luck even though you probably don't need it, you capable and awesome human, you. And if you don't do as well as you wanted to, don't beat yourself up over it. Nothing we do in life is ever a waste of time - take everything as a learning experience and you'll find that it's easier to recover from setbacks. (Hear that future Cynthia? You better be taking your own advice lol). But if they're long term issues that are slowly sucking the happiness out of your life and keeping you up at night, then I understand they may not be as easy to get over. After all, these are the things that we find difficult to put into words and articulate to people, even those we are really close to. They're always there at the back of our mind, even if we try our hardest to run from them or seek temporary reprieve in some form or another. If this is you, then I feel for you, I really do. It is emotionally exhausting to have to go through all this confusion and some days it feels almost impossible to get out of bed because you don't have the energy to face all this shit. Or maybe you do but are unwilling to try because you know that the optimism may be short-lived. Whatever it is, please know that sadness and confusion are only temporary emotions. You will find a way out of it, even if it may take a while. Perhaps it will involve a change in perception - teaching yourself not to care or compare so much. Your only obligation is to yourself so concentrate on making yourself happy. And there are people who care about you, who are willing to give you the time of day to listen and advise. Just remember all this and you'll be fine. And I'll be cheering you on the whole way, whoever and wherever you are. 

Um okay, that's all I had to say. Have a nice day everyone. Bye!


*Awkwardly inserts banner image at the end of the post so something will show up on the homepage - yeah I really need to find a way to circumnavigate this feature*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts